When you go to buy a carpet it can be both an exciting yet overwhelming experience if you are not sure what you are looking for. There are so many carpets that you can choose from that would suit many different environments. It is important to consider your needs when you go to buy a carpet. It depends on how the carpet is used, the amount of foot traffic, or if you have children or pets.
There are so many considerations when it comes to buying a carpet such as a carpet’s colour, the carpet’s durability, how it feels on your feet, what it is used for, etc…
Here are 5 tips you should know before you go searching for your next carpet.
1 - Know the materials that you can choose from.
- There are many different kinds of fibers and each has its benefits and different features.
- Wool absorbs 30% of its weight in moisture and won’t feel damp.
- Nylon keeps its shape well, has incredible fiber strength that doesn’t crush under pressure, and doesn’t stain easily.
- Polyester is great for the cost, amazing for pets and children due to its stain-resistant ability. It comes in many great colours.
- Polypropylene is water-resistant and because of its synthetic nature, it does not hold onto smells.
2 - The carpet underlay makes a difference.
- Don’t cheap out on purchasing a quality underlay for your carpet. The underlay can really make a big difference in how comfortable your carpet is to walk on. A cheap underlay could cause your carpet to wear out more quickly. Carpets are not cheap. It is important to get a good underlay for your carpet if you want to protect your investment.
3 - Have your carpet professionally installed.
- If you’re the DIY (do it yourself) kind of person and you haven’t installed carpet before, there is a lot that goes into ensuring the carpet is installed correctly. It’s happened many times where someone measures the square footage of a room and ends up buying the wrong size carpet. The professionals best understand how to fit a carpet to the room's dimensions so have a professional come to measure the rooms so the carpet is cut for your exact specifications.
4 - End of roll deals.
- If you need to only cover one or two rooms there are ways you can save money by finding an end-of-roll deal. These are the pre-cut pieces that come off the end of a carpet roll. The downside is you can only buy what is being offered for pre cut carpets. The upside is you can save some money and often find a carpet to fit the room you may need it for.
5 - Know the fiber strength.
- Not all carpets are created equal. Consult with your carpet experts to understand what type of carpet you will want to purchase in accordance with your needs. It depends on your environmental elements and what carpet you might need for those needs.
Buying a carpet shouldn’t be an overwhelming or daunting process, rather a fun and exciting process. There are many great feelings in life but one of the best ones is the feeling of a new carpet under your feet. Now that you know what to look for, and what questions to ask, you should be able to enjoy the process of buying your new carpet.